Wednesday 13 January 2010

Which canon lens should I go with?

I have a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and am looking at buying a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. I'm just curious if I will like the change or If I should save the money and be happy with what I have. I would like to reach out a little bit more with a new lens and maybe get a little bit light in some of my indoor pics. I realize the the f/3.5-5.6 part of the lens is the same so getting more light in the picture might not happen. Or is there another decent lens out there that I should look at? I don't wan't to spend too much, $500 max

It is usually not an economically good choice to over lap focal lengths when buying new lenses.

In a magical world, you would buy a 12-24 mm, 24-70 mm and 70-200 mm lens set, but those lenses are very expensive. For economy, you may want to extend your reach by buying the 55-250 mm lens or sell the 18-55 and buy the fine 18-200 mm IS lens.

Take a look at the cost of doing each of the above and then decide.

Since your Canon camera uses EF-S lenses, you will not have to be concerned with lens compatibility issues and can be free to buy either EF or EF-S lenses.

Answer by fhotoace on 09 Jan 2010 03:52:17
Best Answer

You will definitely be happier with the 18-135. In fact you will probably leave your 18-55 behind, sell it or simply keep it as a back up once you get the new lens. You will really appreciate the IS when you are at 135mm in less than ideal conditions.

Here is a "little" tutorial on Canon lenses. Take it with a grain of salt and I hope it doesn't make your head spint:

[URL Truncated]

Hope that helps

Answer by Roy on 13 Jan 2010 09:16:21

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment